|By Franz Metzger, Class of 1958
|Click on photos to enlarge
|Walkiing from former SJC through Christ Church toward Foreign Cemetery.
Far left are the new high rise condo and Marine Tower, left restaurant
|As can be seen in this picture there are many high rise condos and office
buildings, from Yokohama station to Yamashita-cho!
"The Yokohama Foreign Cemetery is situated on the part of the former premises of the Zotokuin temple. In February 1854, the Japan-U.S. Peace and amity Treaty was signed, a tomb was erected for the burial of one of the crew of the fleet commanded by Commodore Perry who visited Yokohama for the signing of the treaty.
After the Yokohama Port opening, that place was officially designated as the cemetery for foreign residents. Now, many foreigners lie in peace here who have been contributors to Japanese culture, including Charles Wirgman, Edmund Morel and Anton Johannes Cornelius Geerts as well as the unknowns killed at the Namamugi or Idogaya Incidents." -- Yokohama City
|Statue of Virgin Mary looking down towards the graves of our beloved teachers..
|Our, SJC, teachers grave. After entering, turn right and proceed down the
slope to visit where our teachers' grave is located. Also it is recommended
to visit library or archive where old pictures of Bluff as well as SJC,
St. Maur etc is exhibited.
Saturday, Sunday and holidays are open to general public but you can visit any days of the week.
Our beloved teachers who are resting at the Yokohama Foreign Cemetery (Gaijin Bochi) are: